Annals of Combinatorics 4 (2000) 237-246
Institute of Systems Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences,
Beijing 100080, China
Received February 23, 2000
AMS Subject Classification: 05B35, 05E15
Abstract. Orthogonal matroids are meant by Coxeter matroids over the group Dn. Elementary axioms characterizing the orthogonal matroids are given. Orthogonal matroids of rank n are proved to be symplectic matroids. Representable orthogonal matroids arising from totally singular subspaces of orthogonal spaces are studied.
Keywords: orthogonal matroid, Coxeter matroid, orthogonal space, representable orthogonal matroid
1. V. Borovik, I.M. Gelfand, and N. White, Symplectic matroids, J. Alg. Combin. 8 (1998) 235–252.
2. D. Gale, Optimal assignments in an ordered set: An application of matriod theory, J. Combin. Theory 4 (1968) 1073–1082.
3. Loo-Keng Hua and Zhe-Xian Wan, Classical Groups, Shanghai Science and Technology Press, Shanghai, 1963 (in Chinese).
4. J. Humphreys, Reflection Groups and Coxeter Groups, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
5. N. White, The Coxeter matroids of Gelfand et al., In: Matriod Theory, Contempory Mathematics, Vol. 197, American Mathematical Society, 1996, pp. 401–409.